By Provost blog
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge."
These words by Albert Einstein ring especially true today as our community honors seven faculty members and three teaching assistants who have dedicated themselves to preparing, advising and inspiring our students.
I will have the honor of recognizing these 10 individuals at the 2015 University of Kentucky Provost's Outstanding Teaching Awards ceremony this afternoon.
The Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award recognizes regular and special title series faculty for outstanding teaching performance. The 2015 winners are:
• Matthew J. Beck, College of Engineering, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
• Daniel S. Morey, College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Political Science
• Mark A. Williams, College of Agriculture, Food and Environment, Department of Horticulture
• Heather A. Campbell-Speltz, College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Hispanic Studies
• Holly S. Divine, College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science
• Debby L. Keen, College of Engineering, Department of Computer Science
• Sarah E. Kercsmar, College of College of Communication and Information, Department of Library and Information Science
The UK Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award recognizes teaching assistants for exceptional performance in the classroom or laboratory. The 2015 winners are:
• David M. Brown, College of Education, Department of Educational Policy Studies
• Amanda R. Ellis, College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Statistics
• Jerrod M. Penn, College of Agriculture, Food and Environment, Department of Agricultural Economics
I would like to both congratulate and thank each of these individuals for their commitment to our students. Of course, they represent a subset of a large community-- one that is dedicated to educational excellence and to putting students first in everything we do.
Thank you for your efforts on behalf of that commitment.