Kieran D. O'Hara
Ph. D. Geological Sciences, Brown University; M. S. Geological Sciences, Brown University; B. Sc. Geology, University College, Dublin, Ireland.
Since retiring in 2011 I have kept myself busy in writing. The first edition of an introductory college textbook entitled "Earth Resources and Environmental Impacts" was published in early 2014 by Wiley. This book is designed for science and non science majors and places an emphasis on the environmental impacts of resource extraction and use. The link to the left provides more information on the textbook.
I have also recently published a book for a general audience entitled "Cave Art and Climate Change" by Archway publishing, 2014. This book examines how the late Pleistocene climate determined the animals that the Upper Paleolithic hunter-gatherers painted and how the animals depicted accurately reflect that climate. This is likely to be controversial. More information on this book is provided in the link to the left.
A book entitled "A Brief History of Geology" authored by myself was published by Cambridge Press in March of 2018.The link to the left provides more information.
A new book, published by Elsevier, entitled "Climate Change in the Anthropocene" has been published in 2022.
- O'Hara, K. D. and Esawi, E. K., 2013. Model for the eruption of the Old Faithful geyser, Yellowstone National Park. GSA Today, 23, 4-9.
- O'Hara, K. D., 2008. A model for late Quaternary methane ice core signals: Wetlands versus a shallow marine source. Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L02712.
- O’Hara, K.D., 2005. Evaluation of asperity-scale temperature effects during seismic slip. Journal of Structural Geology.
- O’Hara, K. D. and Huggins, F. E., 2005. A Mossbauer study of pseudotachylytes: redox conditions during seismogenic faulting. Contrib. Mineral. Petrol. 148, 602-614.
- O’Hara, K. D., 2004. Paleo-stress estimates on ancient seismogenic faults based on frictional heating of coal. Geophysical Research Letters, 31, L03601.
- O’Hara, K. D and Becker, T. P., 2004. Tectonic assembly of the Brevard-Chauga belt, South Carolina: Fluid inclusion evidence from Appalachian Core Site Investigation Hole 2 (ADCOH-2). Journal of Geodynamics, 37, 565-581.
- O’Hara, K. D. and Sharp, Z. D., 2001. Chemical and oxygen isotope composition of natural and artificial pseudotachylyte: role of water during frictional fusion. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett, 184, 393-406.
- O’Hara, K. D., 2001. A pseudotachylyte geothermometer. Journal of Structural Geology, 23, 1345-1357.
- Yang, X., O'Hara, K., Moecher, D.P., 1998. Distinction between tectonic mixing and mass transfer in a ductile shear zone. Journal Structural Geology, v. 20, 1089-1103.
- O'Hara, K.D., Sharp, Z.D., Moecher, D.P. and Jenking, G.R.T., 1997. The effect of deformation on oxygen isotope exchange in quartz and feldspar and significance of isotopic temperatures in mylonites, J.Geology, v. 105, p. 193-204.
- O'Hara, K.D., Yang, X., Guoyan and Li, Z, 1997. Regional _180 gradients and fluid-rock interaction in the Altay accretionary complex, northwest China, Geology, v. 25, p. 443-446.
- O'Hara, K.D., 1995. A note on the structural and fluid-inclusion characteristics of quartz veins at Howth, County Dublin. Irish Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 14, p. 59-64.
- O'Hara, K.D., Kirschner, D.L., and Moecher, D.P., 1995. Petrologic constraints on the source of fluid during mylonitization in the Blue Ridge province, North Carolina and Virginia. J. of Geodynamics, 19, 271-287.
- O'Hara, K.D., 1995. The effects of rupture and diffusion on the salinity of fault-related fluid inclusions. J. Struct. Geology, 17, 257-264.
- O'Hara, K.D., 1994. Fluid-rock interaction in crustal shear zones: A directed percolation approach. Geology, v. 22, p. 843-846.
- O'Hara, K.D., and Haak, A., 1992. A fluid inclusion study of fluid pressure and salinity variations in the footwall of the Rector Branch thrust, North Carolina, U.S.A: J. of Struct. Geology, v. 14, p. 579-589.
- O'Hara, K.D., 1992. Trace and major element constraints on the petrogenesis of a fault-related pseudotachylyte, western Blue Ridge, North Carolina: Tectonophysics, v. 204, 279-288.
- O'Hara, K.D., 1991. Fluid inclusion evidence for basement decompression during Permo-Triassic extension, southeastern New England: Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 9, p. 567-579.
- O'Hara, K.D., 1991. Brittle-plastic deformation in mylonites: The Meadow Fork thrust, an example from the southern Appalachians: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 102, p. 1706-1713.
- O'Hara, K.D., Hower, J.C., and Rimmer, S.M., 1990. Some constraints on the emplacement and uplift history of the Pine Mountain thrust sheet, eastern Kentucky: Evidence from coal rank trends: Journal of Geology, v. 98, p. 43-51.
- O'Hara, K.D., 1990. State of strain in mylonites from the western Blue Ridge province, southern Appalachians: The role of volume loss: J. Struct. Geology, v. 12, p. 419-430.
- O'Hara, K.D., and Blackburn, W.H., 1989. Volume loss model for trace element enrichments in mylonites: Geology, v. 17, p. 524-527.